Thursday, March 6, 2008

Healling Found in Music

My mother has recently become addicted to a great song. It's called "No Air" by Jordan Sparks and Chris Brown. Now I absolutely love this song but she has been on a repeat phase and I swear I've heard it about 5 million times in the last week alone. It started to aggrivate me and then I remembered Ryan Cabrera "fall" I used to put this song on repeat and just zone out for hours. It soothed the part of me that wanted to cry.

This reminded me that music is a great form of expression as well as healling relaxation. By listening to music we are able to transport ourselves to another moment in time when everything was perfect. That dance with Bobby Joe that we wished could last forever is just one of those reasons we turn up a song we haven't heard in a long time.

Watching my mom sigh and sing along every time it started back up, I felt heart broken. How can she enjoy this torture she was bring on herself. Then I realized just how much healling it was doing for her. This was her version of "fall". She started telling stories about the guy who made her sigh when she haerd the words to "no air". This was great for me because it was my own father, who I know so little about and here she was dishing all the goofy stuff from days long past. Everytime, I've heard the sing since then I just turn it up and sing along with her.

My challenge for you today is to find a song that speaks to you mind body and soul. Put it on repeat until you can't handle it anymore. Then post a comment in response to this post. I bet you're feeling more uplifted or calmer than you were before you heard it. I bet you had a trip down memory lane back to the first time you heard this song. It doesn't matter- just let me know I'm not wrong in this theory! Hugs to all~

2 comments:

Phyl said...

You know, I swear there is a little old lady folded in half inside of you!

Yes, the song is healing. Yes it is torture, but at least it makes me feel something. I had to deny my love for your father for so many horrendous years.

Love is a many splendid thing...

Jay said...

I so understand were you mom coming from .. music is my saver in many way ... you can listen and go to differnt time or place or just zone out all together and we all need that from time to time